Sunday, February 06, 2011

Why my iPhone rocks.

(this post was written on 5th Feb)
FINALLY.

FINALLY.

After 21983721 years and 1298372 months and 91284712 days and 9128312 minutes and 12937123 seconds.... I have got my iPhone!!


Was supposed to get it on Feb 3rd, which was my recontract eligibility date, but because of CNY all Singtel shops are closed! zzz. Thus, I could only get it today, when Singtel shops were open once again.Ok I'm going to rant here for quite abit, to skip it just skip over the blue text and proceed to the more interesting part.

I was quite lucky that the first shop that I asked was the hello! shop at Bugis, and they told me that they restocked everyday. Every other shop that i've been to all said 'no idea when restock'... useless. Either they are ultra popular and so they get funneled alot of iPhones or their store manager has some tactic like store iPhone don't sell all till soldout so that everyday can 'replenish'.


So this faithful day of Feb 5th, I went to Bugis at 10+, since the shop opened at 11, I figured I'll go earlier and can confirm myself a quick spot. I reached there at 10.15, and there were already 6 people in line!! Ridiculous. And by 11, the queue was like 20+ people long. Lucky I went early!


So anyway the salesman managed to persuade me into signing a MioTV home plan... but it's mathematically sound I swear! We sat there for at least 30 minutes calculating and letting me think and re-calculate and I don't see how it's not beneficial. I'm lazy to show you the math here so you can ask me about it. 


OH YA I also only found out then that if you re-contract your line, you have to topup $300 to buy the iPhone! Ridiculous. He said it was since last year October implement -_- I thought only $100.(which was the case last time) And apparently by signing the new Mio home plan, I don't have to pay this $300! 


Ok the rest of this post is about WHY I wanted the iPhone so baddd.

1) Combined MP3 + Phone
No more having to carry 2 separate devices and feel the bulge in my pockets! Super convenient!


2) AWESOME GAMES
Henhouse!

Angry Birds!

Cut The Rope!
And there are many more games that I've played like Plants vs Zombies, UnblockMe, Anterim Escape, Cause of Death (fun ! wanna play volume 2!) and i have like at least 5 new games that i've DLed via iTunes that I've yet to try!!

Ok I realized that all my games were reset so I've to play everything again! zomg. I don't think I can play through Angry Birds all over again ><  Yea don't think I will unless I'm REALLY bored. It's not THAT fun it's just for achievement and I completed it already so I've achieved it before so yea.

3) Easy access to Twitter!
Can Tweet alot more and easily! 
It's super convenient I tell you, you can just take a picture from your iPhone and immediately tweet it. Don't need to upload to any site, shorten the URL or anything - The app does it for you! You can even upload videos!!

4) Easy access to Facebook

Haha same thing la, can upload stuff super easily, when take photos can immediately upload on facebook already! win win .

I'm so gonna be a social networking whore from now on. Well, I won't camp Facebook la I'm not that kind. Probably SPAM Twitter/FB more like it hahaa. fun fun fun.

5) HD recording + clear pictures
The camera is just 5MP, but the pictures it takes are pretty good! And video as well! Ok this video was not uploaded in HD, I'll try that next time! Anw this video is just to thank pewi haha


6) Next bus!
No more not knowing how long bloody 10 is going to take! With the next bus app, i'll know exactly how long the bus is going to take to come! Awesome much!
SG Nextbus  - one of the apps that tell you how long more a bus will take to arrive


7) Battery information 
Ok I've been a long-term user of Nokia... I think out of the.. 6? or so phones I've had, only one was a Sony ericsson (C902, which i LOVED. but .. lost it. ) and the rest were Nokia. 

One well-known bug/problem that Nokia refuses to fix is the battery display - It always stays at 100% for very long, then when it starts dropping, it drops very fast.
If you didn't understand what that meant,
Time spent at 100% - 4 hours
50% - 2 hour
25% - 1 hour

Something like that. So the actual situation is like when it's at 100%, it may actually be at 80% or less already.

That makes it super irritating la! But the iPhone more or less accurately displays your battery information! So you will know exactly how long more you have left (Well not EXACTLY, because how fast your battery life depletes also depends on what activity you're performing, but ROUGHLY la ok.)

And one random thing I learnt while doing my pre-purchase research - You know when you buy a new phone then you'll receive the conventional advice of 'your first charge should be 6-12 hours' (actual number varies on whoever gives you the advice)
Guess what - this is extremely outdated advice.

Here's a link to an article that explains very clearly why you DON'T have to do so with Lithium-ion batteries, which have been around for quite a long time already. Let me quote the most important part:
Lithium-ion is a very clean system and does not need priming as nickel-based batteries do. The 1st charge is no different to the 5th or the 50th charge. Stickers instructing to charge the battery for 8 hours or more for the first time may be a leftover from the nickel battery days. 


You do NOT have to charge your phone for a longer time for the first charge. YUPP.


And I found out that you can actually charge the iPhone anytime you want, don't have to like wait till the battery drains out then charge (to try to prolong batt life or whatever) because that's just the way Lithium-ion batteries work! This info is from Apple's website so it's official and credible. You don't believe I can link you.




__


Eh ok la I tired already and you're probably tired of reading so HAHA k bye. Oh ya if you play Words With Friends add me ! My nick is crAzerk